Monday, May 3, 2010

A night with my kids

Where has the time gone? It feels like just yesterday I was bringing home this tiny, helpless, little baby. Today I took a very independent young man for his kindergarten assessment. He was nervous at first but by the time they were through he was having a great time, probably because it was all stuff he knew. They asked him about the alphabet and did some numbers and simple math like which picture has more things. He was also given a list of site words and he knew quite a few and the ones he didn't know he tried to sound out. Some of the other tasks included writing his name and listening to a story and being able to tell the teacher what happened. He came out and told us everything the teacher asked him he knew the answer to. The teacher didn't have too much to say afterward. She wanted to know if he went to preschool and when we said no she seemed pretty surprised and said we must work with him a lot at home. She also mentioned that he told her he uses flash cards. Mostly what she said was that he was more than ready for kindergarten and he will do just fine in the fall.

So we took him to Rita's afterward as a reward for trying hard and we let him play a little wii because he found a new level that I'd never seen before and he wanted to show his Dad. You'd think he'd be good the rest of the night right? Ha! At some point during his bath (I didn't bathe him tonight) he dumped an entire bottle of body wash down the bathtub drain. And it wasn't a little bottle, it was one of the giant ones you get at BJ's. Apparently if you dump an entire bottle of body wash down the drain and then flush the toilet the basement toilet and tub fill with bubbles! We had no clue what was going on. All we heard was this gurgling sound and when we went to check it out we found the basement toilet gurgling and full of bubbles. Tim googled the situation and came up with the possibility of air in the lines. That's when he found the empty bottle of body wash. Collin fessed up when we confronted the boys about it. Thank goodness my husband is so smart and patient because he figured things out and spent quite a bit of time running water and flushing toilets to get rid of all those bubbles!

Then it was bedtime. I put them both to bed no problem and went downstairs to watch Dancing with the Stars. It wasn't long before Nick came down. I sent him back up then Collin came down. I sent him back up. Then I heard Collin say he couldn't sleep because of Nick's nightlight. I told him to shut his door. This conversation was followed by a series of screams and both children coming downstairs. Turns out instead of shutting his door, Collin removed Nick's nightlight. I took them both back upstairs, plugged in Nick's nightlight again and told them both if they got out of bed again I was going to shut and lock their doors. On the way out of Nick's room I happened to glance at the wall. "What's this?" I asked of the lovely green scribbles now gracing Nick's wall. "A bird" he replied. Of course it was a bird, why wouldn't it be a bird? He answered so innocently and proudly as if there was nothing wrong with drawing a bird on his wall in green crayon. I reminded him that we don't draw birds on the wall, we draw them on paper. That's when Collin fessed up, again! He had drawn a person with a box in a bubble on his wall in green crayon as well. What the hell were my children thinking tonight? So it was 9:30, they were both still up and they had defaced their walls. They will be scrubbing their walls in the very near future. Maybe not tomorrow because we have appointments at the eye doctor and a t-ball game tomorrow, but very, very soon.

No comments: