Monday, July 12, 2010

Wowza

Who knew one sleepless night would end up costing so much money? I am banning HGTV permanently! After I watched Design Star one night I couldn't sleep for hours so I began mentally redesigning my entire house. The next day I floated the idea of looking for a new couch by Tim and he said go for it so I searched craigslist and found a cream colored couch and love seat for $250 that was just what I had in mind. I thought that plus a coat of paint would be perfect. My quick little project has quickly snowballed. My amazing husband put crown molding up this weekend despite the best efforts of our builder 30 years ago to make that task impossible. Studs are supposed to be every 16 to 24 inches on center, yet we have runs of 3 feet or more with no studs. The walls aren't flat either. And the corners? Forget those. We ended up with the cheater corners and I think they look awesome so I'm glad we did. The ancient ceiling fan that the idiots couldn't be bothered to install properly by running the wires behind the walls has now been replaced by a new fan. Tim even ran the wires behind the wall for me. That's been one of my pet peeves since we bought the house. We bought pergo flooring that we are planning to install shortly and we'll be replacing the baseboards and installing a chair rail. The new furniture is a much better scale for the room so we'll be re-arranging everything and I think we'll need to buy a new entertainment center because the TV will no longer hang above the piano. When its all finished I think it will be gorgeous and I promise to post pictures. I can't believe how far this project has come from my initial coat of paint and a new couch. It's needed though, especially the floor. If it were up to me, I'd get rid of all the carpet in the whole house. I hate carpet! The kids are always spilling something on it and the dogs are constantly shedding all over it so I really have to vacuum much more often that I'd like to. Pergo is easy to clean up. So I'm excited to finally finish this project. It's one of the few rooms in the house we haven't really re-done yet. Now that we've done all this, I really don't want to even think about moving and having to start all over again making the house the way we really want it.

1 comment:

Jane said...

i cant wait to see pics!!! i want to redo my family room and put in tile in the foyer... i am hoping to do family rm carpet by september.