Saturday, June 27, 2009

Update

On Wednesday I picked Nick up at daycare and he was burning up. Collin had been complaining that his ear hurt so I made an appointment at nighttime peds for both of them. Collin was doing much better after having the virus but had gotten an ear infection. Nick didn't have an ear infection, his strep test and flu test were both negative so they sent me home and told me it was probably the same virus Collin and Tim had. So I stayed home Thursday and he did pretty well during the morning but by afternoon the fever was back and he was listless. So I stayed home again on Friday too. I called the doctor first thing in the morning and we agreed that it was probably the same thing and Tim had but that if he didn't get any better by Saturday he needed to be seen again. Friday afternoon things got worse. His temperature reached 102 and I was having a hard time controlling it with Tylenol and Motrin. By this time the doctor's office was closing in a half hour so there was no point in calling them. I made an appointment with nighttime peds again but the earliest appointment they had was 11:20. About 10:00 Nick was doing great. His fever was non-existent and he was running around very happily playing so I cancelled that appointment. He woke me up again at 3:45 this morning with a temp of 102 again so I called the doctor and took him in to be seen. They did another strep test and this one came back positive. I was actually really glad because I didn't want him to have a fever with no apparent cause. I was relieved that he had something very treatable. One dose of Motrin and antibiotic later he's a brand new kid. He's got an apatite again and he wants to play and the fever is completely gone. I don't think he had strep on Wednesday when we were at the doctor's office, I think he developed it on Friday because the virus had weakened his immune system. I'm just so relieved that he's OK now. It was a tough week with everyone being sick for so long. Tim and Collin are both doing just fine now too. The most amazing part about this whole experience was that as sick as Nick was for the last 3 days, I had to change very few diapers. He consistently asked me to use the potty and even went #2 once for me. So my silver lining is that we must be pretty close to being potty trained if he can do it even with a 102 degree fever. I never once prompted him, he just took his diaper off and asked to go. Of course, now that he's on the antibiotic, I don't think he'll be making it to the potty so easily. It's already wreaking havoc on his belly.

1 comment:

Kayris said...

I'm crossing my fingers that strep stays far far away. We haven't had it yet. Good for Nick for PT! I haven't even thought about it for Maureen.