Thursday, February 26, 2009
Another Visit to the Doctor
6 months ago Nick got his tubes put in his ears and today it was time for our 6 month follow up visit. So back to the doctor's office we went. Collin was a perfect angel while Nick was examined. Nick, on the other hand, was thoroughly pissed that the doctor was looking in his ears. He screamed and hollered and tossed and turned despite my best efforts to hold him still. In fact, his doctor commented that he is "freakishly strong". You should see the fights we have over getting into his car seats. There are many days when I resort to good old fashioned bribery because I can't take another arm wrestling match to get him in the stupid thing. Anyway, back to the doctor's office. Nick's left ear has been draining some gross stuff so we put him on drops yesterday. Today the doctor told me the right ear is full of fluid too but his tube is clogged and that's why its not draining. So now I get to hold him down to put drops in both ears for the next few days. On top of that he gets an oral antibiotic to try to clear up whatever else is going on since he's still coughing and hacking and is generally just congested. If I haven't mentioned it before (and I'm pretty sure I have) I HATE February/Winter! I just want my kids to feel better again. Poor little Nick wanted nothing to do with taking his medicine tonight when I offered it to him and I couldn't understand why at first. He's always taken medicine like a champ. However, the Tamiflu he was on last week must have really tasted bad because he got all upset any time I gave it to him. I finally mixed it with applesauce to make it more palatable. He must have thought his antibiotic was more of that because he ran away crying when I tried to give it to him. So I arm wrestled him down and got just enough to give him a taste in his mouth. As soon as he swallowed he sat straight up and opened his mouth nice and wide to take the rest and then he reached for the syringe to lick anything left on the outside and to try to suck out anything that might be left on the inside. I don't anticipate any problems tomorrow other than the ear drops. I'm pretty sure there is no way to sugar coat those and he absolutely hates them so if anyone knows of a good way to make kids sit still and not fuss about them, please let me know.
Labels:
doctor's visits
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment