Saturday, February 28, 2009

My child make me cringe again

We went to Costco tonight to do some shopping. I always buy my fruit at either Costco or BJ's because I can get large quantities at really good prices and my boys can eat some fruit. Collin has long since outgrown riding in the basket with Nick and has been walking with us through the store. Tonight I was pushing the cart and Tim was supposed to be corralling Collin. After a while we switched because Collin is easily distracted and not always prone to listening when you ask him to move on with you. We were having one of those moments. Collin was walking along an edge in the frozen foods aisle and I was hissing at him through clenched teeth that he needed to come along NOW. "For the hundredth time, get down from there and lets go." So he gets down, pours on the speed and runs around a corner past an older couple, I'd guess they were in their 70's or so. As he runs past them he turns to me and says "I love beer!" It stops me dead in my tracks and he can see that he's gotten a reaction so he says it a few more times, a little louder each time. The old couple can barely contain their laughter and I'm left standing there wishing he belonged to someone else so I could laugh too. Instead, I'm mortified and herd him toward his father as fast as I can. I then inform Tim that HIS son has informed the entire store that he loves beer. He laughs and says "me too, buddy" and then "Why is he my son?" Because I'm not the one who lets him try beer, that's why. We make it out of the store without any further declarations of affection for products he is far to young for and I'm relaying the story to my mother over the phone when Collin overhears and starts up again. "I love beer. I love wine too!". Damn it. Now I have to claim my son again because Tim doesn't drink wine very often, that one is all me. Somehow he always manages to say things that catch me off guard and make me want to crawl in a hole and die and laugh all at the same time. The funny thing is that we really don't drink very often at all, especially in front of the kids. If I have one or two glasses of wine a month, that's a lot. And yet, somehow he loves wine and beer. That kid doesn't forget a darn thing.

2 comments:

Kayris said...

Johnny told some of my coworkers that his favorite beer is Yuengling and Guinness. They thought it was hysterical. Luckily, we were at home when he announced, "Daddy drinks a lot of beer. I drink a lot of beer too. I LIKE beer!"

Missy said...

I guess boys will be boys...