Thursday, February 19, 2009

Yet Another Doctor Visit

We've been sick all week long. After Collin got strep we all went downhill from there. I am just finally feeling better after not being able to breathe for a week unless I used Afrin. Tim is getting what I had and we thought Nick had a cold. His cold has gotten worse. Sunday night we took him to Nighttime Peds because he was very cranky all day long and kept tugging at one of his ears. He was also very congested and had a yucky cough. They gave us an antibiotic because one of his ears looked red. The didn't say it was infected so I'm not sure why he got the antibiotic but I gave it to him anyway because his cough sounded so junky. He hasn't gotten a whole lot better although he has stopped pulling at his ear. Today when I picked him up the sitter said he'd had a rough day and you could tell he just wasn't feeling great. He was acting pretty normal though. I made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner and he didn't touch it. That is unusual for Nick. He usually cleans his plate and asks for more. He also felt hot to the touch so I took his temp with the ear thermometer that is a piece of crap and I'm going to throw away. It said his temp was 98.8. I felt Collin and then felt Nick and there was a very definite difference so I decided that as much as I didn't want to do it, I had to suck it up and get a rectal temp. I feel so bad doing that to my baby and I never really got a good reading because he was squirming so much. Once it said 102 I stopped trying. No point in torturing the kid, he's clearly very sick. So we made the appointment and took him in. He tested positive for RSV and Influenza. The doctor told Tim that we should go to our primary physicians and get some Tamiflu too because we'll probably get it now. Can I just tell you that I absolutely loathe this time of year. It's only the middle of February and Tim and I have both had to call out of work twice already because someones been sick. It's getting really old. I gotta hand it to my kids though, as sick as they've been they have been troopers. They've both kept a smile on their faces and been pretty pleasant. Not whiney at all like I would expect. The doctor told Tim that we caught Nick early and he's likely to feel worse over the next couple of days so I may have spoken too soon but he was all smiles when he got home tonight. He just wanted to cuddle, which I'll take. I just wish he didn't have to be sick to want to cuddle with his Mommy.

2 comments:

Kayris said...

Urgh, sounds awful!! The news last night said local ERs have seen a spike in flu cases. And while both my kids got vaccinated....I didn't. Let's hope I don't get sick. Hope everyone in your house is well soon!

Missy said...

I feel your pain. Kylie had the stomach flu, then Paul. Gos only knows what's really wrong with her now. And once again I've got a nasty cold/sinus thing going. So, I'm still not sleeping. Add to that the fact that I had a root canal today and then slamed the top of my head into the hatch door on my truck tonight and I'm not in a very good mood, to say the least! Now Kylie has these red bumps and scabs all up and down her arms which my mom assures me doesn't sound like chicken pox, and is probably just her excema like I thought. I sure hope so...we've got a houseful of people coming to Gabe's birthday party on Sunday!