Monday, October 20, 2008
What's in a name?
Have I ever posted the story of how we named Nicholas? We discussed a lot of names, a whole lot of names in fact, but we couldn't decide on one. Collin was Collin from the moment I found out I was pregnant but Nick was much harder. We had tons of books to look through and picked lots of nice names but we couldn't settle on any one name no matter how hard we tried. The morning Nick was born we went to the hospital still discussing what to call him. In the OR, as the doctor was cutting me open to deliver Nick, she asked if we'd named him yet and we said we hadn't. At first she suggested Marcus, that was the name of the doctor assisting her. Nice, but not quite what we were looking for. Then she suggested Nicholas since her name was Nicole. We loved it. He has been Nicholas from that moment on. Which brings us to present day. Collin found a stack of those post-it flags that you use to mark pages in a book that you want to look at again someday and asked what they were for. I tried to explain that concept to him but he wasn't really getting it so I said "here, hand me a book." Collin handed me a book about baby names so I turned to the page with his name on it and put the flag on it. It turns out that Collin is Irish/Gaelic meaning child. That definition is followed by the sentence "A familiar form of Nicholas." Really? Did I really manage to name both of my children Nicholas without even realizing it? Nicholas, by the way, is Greek meaning victory of the people. St. Nicholas is also the patron saint of children, hence Collin meaning child. Only I could manage to give both of my children some form of the same name and not even realize it until almost 18 months later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
OMG, that is so funny! I never would have thought that the names Collin and Nicholas were remotely related!
Love the pics of the new dog, very sweet looking!
Post a Comment