Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A is for Apple

Nicholas hasn't been saying a whole lot up until today. He'd babble a little and he says mama and dada but other than that, he really doesn't say much. Today he seems to have found his voice. From the moment I picked him up until the moment he went to sleep he babbled like crazy. Mostly completely unintelligible but you can see he's really trying. The big breakthrough came while we were playing Starfall.com. I clicked on the A and it said "A. Aaaahhh. Apple." Clear as day, Nicholas repeated "apple". I might have thought I had imagined it but Tim was standing in the kitchen and heard him say it as well. I haven't been able to get him to repeat it but every time we click on the A and it says aaahhh, Nick says aaahhh. Starfall.com is my favorite website. It really is great for teaching small children letters and sounds.

Onto another subject. Collin actually asked to pee in the potty twice today after we got home from daycare! I am so proud. He seems to really be getting the hang of it. Unfortunately, he is not getting the second half of things anywhere near as quickly. At least once a day I'm cleaning out poopy underwear. And it always seems to happen before Daddy gets home from work or after he's left for work or the store or wherever. Collin has a real knack for doing it when Daddy's not around to take a turn cleaning the underwear out, its so not fair! Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to get him to poop in the potty instead of his underwear? I know its just something that will happen eventually and I can't force it so maybe a better question would be: Does anyone know how to removed poop filled underpants without getting the poop all down his legs in the process, and how to easily remove all the poop from the underwear without getting it all over myself or my bathroom? There is really something to be said about diapers. At least they come apart at the sides!

1 comment:

Kayris said...

I always had Johnny stand with his legs far apart so I could get the underwear down his legs, then wipe any poop that was on his skin, then ease his feet out of the underwear.

Dump the poop in the toilet, flush and then let the underwear soak to get any sticky stuff off. After that, I always put it right into the washing machine.

And hold your breath and try not to gag. That's the hardest part.

You could also try disposable inserts, they are sold in the cloth diaper section of the baby store. They might help contain the mess a little.

Good luck!