Thursday, April 10, 2008

The things they say...

Since we've been potty training pretty intensively we've been making a huge deal about it every time Collin uses the potty. So when my Dad went to the bathroom the other day and forgot to lock the door, Collin barged in on him and got very excited. "You're peeing in the potty Grampa! Mommy, Come look! Grampa's peeing in the potty!" That got a "yeah Grampa" from the rest of us and a reminder to all to lock the bathroom door behind you if Collin is around.

At dinner we were trying to coax Collin into eating anything, really. I said "How about taking one little bite. It's really good!" Collin looked me square in the face and without missing a beat said "how about.....(dramatic pause and serious attitude) NO!" It sounded really funny and we all laughed (but it's really not something I want to encourage). I couldn't imagine where he had gotten such a phrase or such attitude. Then about 8 o'clock that night he came upstairs and said "How about we watch a movie?" Without even thinking I responded "how about....no" BUSTED! Once again, Mommy needs to remove a phrase from her vocabulary because it really isn't very cute when your 2 year old repeats it back to you.

I can't remember where we were when I told Collin "if you don't stop it right now, I'm gonna..." I didn't finish the phrase because I hadn't decided what the punishment was going to be yet. I was torn between put you in time out and take away tv. Before I could make up my mind Collin finished my sentence with "beat your butt!". Lesson learned: If a phrase will not sound nice coming out of your child's mouth, don't use it. I've told him in a moment of utter frustration before that I was going to beat his butt, but I would never actually do it. I'm not a big fan of spanking, I've only done it once when I was trying to get him to stop biting and I felt horrible afterward. I cried right along with him.

On at least a daily basis, he says something that makes me laugh or cringe or both. I can't wait until Nick starts talking too and I can hear all the things they come up with together.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Scott and I got a good laugh about your Dad and the potty! Kids are just too funny- I crack up every time Trent opens his mouth!