Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Perfect Timing

Its funny how babies have a wonderful sense of timing. Collin and Nick were in the bath tonight and I was asking Collin how to spell his name. I got a whole string of letters at first, none of which were in his name so I started it for him, "C-O" he said "L-L-I-" then Nick chimed in with "N". I swear to God he said it. It was probably just a sound he chose to make at that moment, but it was the right sound and it got a resounding cheer from me which he responded to by clapping his hands and grinning from ear to ear. He isn't saying a whole lot yet but he is very observant. He watches his brother very closely and does his best to imitate him. Collin has a book where you smack the monster's nose to make him squeak. It took him forever to learn to squeak the nose but Nick caught on right away. I've also seen him watch what Collin is playing with and then get more pieces of that same toy out of the toy bin. Today he was playing with one particular toy that he kept taking out and putting away again. It's funny how different the two of them are. Collin is bright and he walked and talked early. Nick seems to be bright in a different way. He pulls himself to standing but gets around fine by crawling and he doesn't need to talk as much because his brother talks enough for both of them. He watches everything around him very intently and knows exactly what he wants and goes after it. His most recent game is to feed the dog from his high chair. I caught him doing it yesterday and said his name sharply to get his attention. He just grinned at me and did it some more. Sometimes he is exactly like his brother because that was one of Collin's favorite games when he was a baby.

No comments: