Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Why I will NEVER watch Oprah again



10:33 p.m.

Oprah (!) being interviewed at the Obama rally in Chicago: "It's my town. My town's been vibrating all day...[Gail tells her to tell a story about how she voted.] I was voting across from a drug rehab center. And there were some ladies in there that I was like, 'Well, how long have you all been detoxed?' And they said, 'Just last week,' and I said, 'Okay, that's good. That's sober enough.'...And I thought, 'We will even take the drug addicts' vote.

In case you couldn't tell from my last rant I'm a bit disenchanted with the voting process these days. The quote above is exactly as Oprah said it and it absolutely makes my blood boil. Are we so desperate in this country that we need to have the drug addicts voting for president? This election has been going on for more than a year. In the week or less that they've been sober did they research what the candidates stood for? I doubt it. It's our right to vote in this country and I would never deny anyone that right. More than a right, it's our civic duty to vote. I believe it is also our duty to understand the issues and what the candidates stand for before we vote. Obama wasn't my choice for President but I'm not that upset that he won. My biggest problem with him was that he wants more government and I think the government screws up just about everything it touches with too much bureaucracy, but what do I know? I could be totally wrong and I hope I am. My problem isn't that he was elected, my problem is that McCain didn't stand a chance right from the beginning. The media crowned Obama King a long time ago and he was able to outspend McCain by two to one. How do you possibly compete with that? You can't. Obama ran an innovative campaign. He had a lot of new techniques that were nothing short of ingenious but you also had ACORN out there registering the Dallas Cowboys and God only knows who else to vote. It's those type of things that I object to. I'm glad to see so many people so excited about the election and I hope that this excitement continues. Its good to see young people finally involved and excited about something that's so important. My hope for the next election is that both candidates use the same type of financing and that the media stops telling us all who is going to win long before the election takes place and for God's sake, get rid of ACORN and replace them with a non partisan group who will register real people to vote once and only once. Yes, I know, by and large, that is what happens, but there were tons of reports of people registering multiple times and under false names and it just bugs me. An election should be won without those kind of shady tactics being necessary. Obama would have been able to win even without that kind of stuff. I think it demeans him and his presidency that people weren't confident enough in him and his abilities that they felt it necessary to register anyone and everyone, multiple times if necessary, and get the drug addicts out to vote just to get him elected. I hope that he is able to unite the country and deliver the kind of change he promises.

I promise this is the last bit of ranting I will do on the election and politics, at least for another 2 years. And by the way, the Washington Redskins did correctly predict the outcome of the election by losing Monday night. And here's another stat I heard recently. It's going to be a good 4 years for the New York Yankees. They only win the World Series when a democrat is president so they have 4 years to return to their former glory. Talk about a stat I like to see turn out to be wrong this time!