Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy New Year

Last year I made a few New Year's resolutions that I'd thought I'd be able to handle. They were things like not being so hard on myself for what I didn't manage to do around the house and instead giving myself credit for what I did manage to get done. Actually, that one I can say I accomplished pretty well and I am much happier for it. That was a great resolution because it changed the way I thought about things and they way I thought about myself for the better. The other two resolutions were not so successful. I resolved to do laundry on a more regular basis (check-I'm way better about doing it regularly now) and to fold that laundry and put it away before I had several baskets full of laundry to sort and put away (I bombed that part of it). The final resolution was to make healthier choices and exercise more. I did make some healthier choices and got more exercise during the summer. In October I did great, I was at the gym 3-4 times a week. I'd even lost a little weight. And then I fell off the wagon. Hard. I haven't been to the gym since. So as always, I resolve to get more exercise and make healthier choices again this year. I resolve to try at least one new food a month and blog about it so I'm accountable for it. I resolve to try again to conquer my laundry and actually put it away in a reasonable amount of time. I will try to fight the urge to scream at my kids when they do something outrageously irritating and hug them instead and explain why I'm upset. I will also try to remove the words "freakin'" and "crap" and "damn it" from my vocabulary because Collin is using them, mostly to tell me they are bad or to see if I'll react to his choice of words, but they're still coming out of his mouth and making me cringe. Finally, I'm going to try to be a nicer person in general and go out of my way to do something nice for someone else every day. Even if it's just to hold the door for someone or let someone go ahead of me in the grocery line because they just have one thing and I have 25. For some reason, I'm always amazed when people are nice to me. I shouldn't be because I don't think there are a lot of people who set out each day with the intention of being rude. It just somehow happens. I was in Target once with my boys and the lady behind me in line bought my son a toy car. It wasn't expensive, I could have bought it, but as soon as he asked for it she piped up and asked if she could please buy it for him. I think about her often because it was such a kind and unexpected gesture. It really left a lasting impression on me. So there you have it. I resolve to be kinder and more caring toward others, be a better mother, clean up my potty mouth, conquer the laundry pile and eat better and exercise more. I did better this year than I usually do so maybe the trend will continue and I might actually reach some of these lofty goals.

However you celebrate the New Year, be safe and have fun. I hope the New Year brings nothing but good things for everyone. Happy New Year. Welcome 2009!

No comments: