Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Social Commentary
A couple of days ago New York got a new governor because the old one enjoyed high priced hookers. He takes office and one of the first things he does is admit that he and his wife both had affairs. On the one hand I applaud him for putting it out there right away so that it doesn't become some kind of scandal. I also applaud him and his wife for working through whatever was wrong in their marriage. On the other hand I find it very sad that as New York gets rid of one governor who was unfaithful, they're swearing in another one with the same issue, albeit on a totally different, much less offensive, scale. Why are so many of our politicians involved in these kinds of scandals? Most aren't as bad as Elliott Spitzer with his high priced hookers, but how many politicians have admitted to affairs? Does it occur more with people in power because they have the money and opportunity and people are willing to do anything to get what they want from them or is it really this prevalent in society and we just hear about it more because politicians are public figures? The people I feel the worst for are the families of those politicians. It must be hard enough to find out that your spouse or parent has been unfaithful but to have to go through it under the microscope of the media and the public is more than anyone should have to take. The only one who won in that situation was the hooker. She's got more fame that she can probably handle and her song has been downloaded more than a million times. It went from 33 cents a download to 99 cents so I guess she's now a legit millionaire. Maybe she's still facing some legal trouble but it seems like she really hit the jackpot in the end.
Labels:
Stupid people
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
In college, I spent a lot of time studying presidential elections and who America selects as their leaders. One thought that really got me thinking- considering the scrutiny that we put our leaders through and the type of media attention they receive criticizing their every move- the moral, upstanding people that we would like as leaders wouldn't subject their families to the stresses of the campaign. Like him or hate him, I totally respect Colin Powell for deciding not to run for president a few years back after the media called his wife "crazy" because she had sought the help of a psychiatrist for an emotional issue she was going through. I truly believe that as long as allow the media to overly scrutinize our candidates- we'll be get more Eliot Spitzers in office and less "Mr. Smith"s.
I find it disgusting that the hooker is an instant celebrity and porn magazines are offering her 6 figure amounts to pose nude in their trashy magazines. News flash: what she did was just as illegal as what Spitzer did.
Post a Comment