Monday, March 24, 2008

Tim Rocks

I spend most of my time blogging about my kids and while I mention my husband sometimes it's usually just as it relates to whatever situation my kids have gotten themselves into so I thought I'd take a minute and mention that he absolutely rocks and I really do appreciate everything he does. Today, for instance, he switched his work schedule around so that he could be home with the kids since their sitter is off. Then he changed Nick's doctor's appointment from tomorrow to today since I told him Nick really isn't feeling well and I think he has an ear infection and I would have to take off tomorrow to get him to the appointment. He does, by the way, have another ear infection. This makes 4 in 3 and a half months! After he took the kids to the doctor, he picked up Nick's prescription and did a little grocery shopping since I didn't have time to go this weekend and he made dinner. It was a dinner that I wouldn't have put together but I really enjoyed it. He made salmon (which I generally don't like but Tim marinates it in something that makes it taste good) with vegetables (in a teriyaki sauce I think) and quinoa. I LOVE quinoa. According to Wikipedia:

Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, being secondary only to the potato, and followed in third place by maize. In contemporary times this crop has come to be highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete food. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered as a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.

You cook quinoa basically the same way you cook rice and we use it in place of rice with a lot of dishes, my favorite being Rachel Ray's Curry in a Hurry (I'll post the recipe soon). If you buy it in an organic food store like MOM's you can get it really inexpensively. Anyway, Tim made the entire dinner and when he served it, it looked and tasted like something you'd get in a restaurant. I was quite impressed with his healthy and tasty meal. He then cleaned up the meal while I spent some time playing with the kids. He watched the kids, cooked and cleaned and now he's busy studying. What a guy! Honey, you really are Super Dad!

1 comment:

Kayris said...

Sounds like you've got a great hubby!

We love quinoa too!