Monday, September 8, 2008
Blessing in Disguise
So for all my complaining about my ruined trip to Williamsburg, it was a blessing in disguise. We were supposed to leave Friday morning and didn't go because of the hurricane. Saturday morning Nick slept a long time, I mean a really long time. As in it was 10:30 and I was on the phone complaining to my mom about how hot my house was when I finally decided enough was enough and I needed go check on him because while he's a good sleeper, he's not usually 14 hours good and of course as I'm whining about my house being hot I'm starting to panic that I've over-heated my kid by not using the air conditioning. Totally dumb since if I had thought about it for more than 30 seconds I would have concluded that it was in the 60's all night long and his window was open, my house was only in the low 80's by 10:30 and while it was humid, it really wasn't all that bad. No way could my kid have gotten hot enough to cause damage. However, when I walked in his room and picked him up and felt how hot he was, all reason melted away and all I could think about was how to cool this poor child down. I gave him some water to drink and a nice cool bath (which he hated) before it finally dawned on my that I had not given my kid heat stroke, maybe he was actually sick and I needed to check his temperature. It was 102.7 so we called Nighttime Peds and took him in. The doctor wasn't sure what the problem was but noted that his ears were red around the tubes and put him on an antibiotic. The fever finally broke sometime Sunday evening but I noticed a very faint red rash on his legs. This morning, I tortured the poor guy to make sure he didn't have a fever and sent him to daycare because the rash seemed to be gone. However, when I picked him up from daycare I noticed the rash was back and it seemed considerably worse to me so I called Nighttime Peds again and brought him in to be sure he wasn't having an allergic reaction to his antibiotic. I still don't know what's going on. It's either an allergic reaction or hand-foot-and mouth disease, the doctor couldn't be sure and told me to follow up with the pediatrician in the morning. He didn't want me to stop the antibiotic so he must not be too worried that's whats causing the rash. I guess we'll know more tomorrow. In the mean time I am so wishing I'd done a flexible spending account this year because we have a well baby visit scheduled for Friday. If we actually get to go to that, we will have been to the doctor 4 times in 7 days for a grand total of $110 in copays plus whatever the prescription cost. All this money I've got to pay out anyway, I might as well pay it out pre-tax and get it back later in one lump sum. We will definitely be signing up for that next year!
Labels:
doctor's visits,
Nicholas
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment