This week Tim decided to put his Best Buy gift card and some extra money toward the purchase of a Wii. We called Best Buy and the girl who answered the phone told us "Yep, we've got wii's" so we headed over to pick one up. We walked to the back where the video game section is and Collin immediately began playing with the demo. When another little boy wandered over and wanted to play too he let him have a turn and the two of them played very nicely for quite a while while Tim looked at games and finally got around to asking for a wii. The kid working in the department informed us that he was very sorry but they didn't have any wii's. Really? We just called and were told you do. So he went to look in the back and came back very apologetic and said, "I checked, I don't see any back there either". Bummer. So we headed for the checkout with an xbox game instead. While Tim was waiting for me to catch up (I had to put back all the things Collin put in the cart to buy along the way) he made small talk with the security guard.
T: So you guys don't have any wii's
SG: Sure we do
T: No really, they just checked and said you didn't have any
SG: They lied to you, we have lots.
T: That's not funny
SG: Seriously, look behind the check out counter
We looked. I counted 30 in the stack I was looking at and I think there may have been another stack as well. (If anyone is looking to buy one, we were at the BestBuy in Columbia) So we walked back to the video game section, returned the xbox game to its spot and picked up a wii game with an extra controller instead. By this time Collin could barely contain his excitement. All he could talk about on the way home was playing the games. Since it was late, we all went to bed and didn't hook it up that night. The next day Collin went to daycare where all he spoke about all day long was the game he wanted to play. Finally, we got home and he had his chance. Even a simple game on the xbox is just a little beyond what he's able to do at this point but games on the wii are pretty manageable. In fact, you should see the little dude bowl. I'm ashamed to admit it but I was playing him this morning and I got a respectable 106. My son's score: also a 106. Now given that he's 3 and I'm.... a lot older than 3, I'd say he wins. And I wasn't trying to let him win either because he came very close to beating his Daddy before he played me! I know there's lots of people who say video games are horrible for kids but its a great way to work on eye hand coordination and at least the wii games get you up and moving. Now I also have a new weapon in my bribery basket: if you want to play wii you will pickup your toys. I'll try to get some video of him playing because he's just so excited about it, you can't help but laugh.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's a great reward system for him. And I wouldn't consider things like WiiSports to be video games, they are kinda in their own little niche. While your at it, since you blogged about wanting to lose some weight, you oughta see if you can find a WiiFit anywhere. It's a suprisingly good workout system.
Gabe loves our wii. If you don't have it yet, there's a diego game for it which is great! There's also a Cars racing game. We have a couple other games that are a little harder for him, like Alvin and the Chipmunks! That one is REALLY hard! I can barely play it! I'm trying to save up the money for a wiifit for me!
We've been thinking about getting one... a friend brought one over once and it was a blast! We never tried it with Trent though!
Post a Comment