Sunday, November 4, 2007

You call that green?

I'm watching the Eagles/Dallas game tonight and in honor of their going green week, CBS has changed their logo to a green peacock and during half-time they turned out all the lights in the studio. They said if everyone watching the game turned out the lights in their homes while they watched they would save enough energy to power 2,000 homes for a year. Great! However, they left the score ticker and the many many TV's in the background running. If they were seriously committed to saving energy they could have left half the lights on and turned off all the other junk.

I'm all in favor of conserving energy if it doesn't cost me extra money and it isn't hard to do. I buy the funky spiral light bulbs and recycle everything we can. Collin even knows which items belong in the recycle bin. The lights and TV's get turned off when we leave a room. Tim even insists on turning the computers off when its not in use (I admit I wasted energy here but it takes them FOREVER to boot up). We also make sure that when its time to buy new appliances we look for the energy star logo. This past summer we replaced all of our windows with energy star windows and all these changes have made a difference. I'm always looking for new, easy ways to save energy and ways to teach the boys the importance of conservation. I'm always on the lookout for good lessons so if you have any fun ideas leave me a comment.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I am seriously considering doing what my mom used to do during the winter- she used to get the heavy duty plastic from the hardware store and seal it to the windows to keep the heat in. It actually worked really well!