Monday, January 14, 2008
Potty Training Update
Yesterday we tried a little experiment with Collin. I put him in underwear and instructed him that he needed to tell me when he felt like he had to go to the bathroom. Six pairs of underwear later (in like 3 hours) I gave up and put a diaper on him, mostly because we were out of clean underwear. I have to go buy a few packs of underwear before I try this experiment again. What I did find out is that while he's capable of going on the potty when he has to go, he doesn't realize it before he goes yet and he goes A LOT. I think it was every half hour or so he was telling us that he'd peed his pants. I'd put him on the potty and get him to try to go some more. Sometimes he did (at least a little) and sometimes he didn't. Once he didn't pee but he managed to poop which we made a gigantic deal over. We even called and left a message for Grammy because he was so proud of himself. I've never met a normally functioning adult who wasn't potty trained so I'm trying to remain hopeful and not push him too much but he is getting close to 3 and lots of kids are already potty trained by now. Not having to change diapers would be like Heaven, but then again, when he's gotta go, he's gotta go and that means I have to find a bathroom. At least with the diapers I don't have to worry about that yet. Maybe I'm the one who needs to "just chill out" as Collin likes to tell me.
Labels:
Collin,
potty training
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
He might need to learn what it feels like to have to go pee.
I would put Johnny in underwear, then set the timer on the microwave and take him every half hour or so so he could try to go. Once he recognized the sensation of needing to go, the pee part of training went fairly easy.
Don't feel too bad...Gabriel is almost 5 and still pees his pants on occation, when he's having too much fun to stop and go to the bathroom. Or sometimes he waits too long and can't make it to the potty in time. He did this at my mom's the other night when he hda to poop, and THAT NEVER HAPPENS! He may pee his pants once in an while, but he never poops his pants!
Post a Comment