Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Geography News

I can hardly believe this story is real! Apparently, back in the 1800's the surveyor sent to set Georgia's state lines got it wrong and now Georgia wants it corrected so they have a share of the Tennessee River which would be a better water supply for the city of Atlanta than the river they currently use. I don't even know where to begin with this story. If they haven't corrected it in the last 200 years, shouldn't they just let it be? I would kind of lump this in with squatters rights and common law marriage. If you squat somewhere long enough the place becomes yours and if you live together and call yourself married for long enough (in some states but not Maryland) you are considered married). I think that if the border has been in the wrong spot for the last 200 years, the statutory period should be over and the border should not be moved. Is this what we're going to resort to now? How can we teach our children about right and wrong when our solution to a drought problem in Georgia is to pick up and move the state line so we don't have to deal with Tennessee to get water. Give me a break, that's the same as stealing. Then again, the government is allowed to claim eminent domain and take people's homes for the greater good which amounts to the same thing in my book. Who knows, they could actually get away with this, stranger things have happened, but I doubt they will. The politician's are acting like spoiled little brats. It's an interesting story to follow.

No comments: