Monday, February 25, 2008

Our Trip to the Big Apple

Tim and I had the rare opportunity to spend an entire day together yesterday, just us, no kids. We had tickets to see Legally Blonde on Broadway in New York so my parents watched the boys while we hopped on a bus to New York bright and early Sunday morning. We had such a good time. It was so nice to spend some time alone together. I think it's actually been since Collin was born that we've had an entire day together! If you're looking to go to New York for the day, the bus was an awesome way to go. It cost $50 per person round trip which is very reasonable considering that if you had to fill up your car before you left on the trip it would cost you almost that much depending on what you drive, and then you add in all the tolls and the general hassle of driving in New York City. I think it would have been a bargain at $100 per person, then again I don't like city driving, period. We caught the bus at 6:40 am at the first stop (there were 3 more after ours) and were in New York by 10:30 or so. That gave us several hours to sight see before our 2:00 show. After the show, which was totally amazing, we had time to sit down for a nice dinner and do some shopping before catching the bus home at 6:30. We made it back home by 10:30 and were in bed by 11:00. It was a long day but so much fun. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed the show. Legally Blonde was a total chick flick and you would expect the Broadway show to be as well but Tim really enjoyed it too. His comment was "That was much better than I expected". I don't think there was a bad seat in the theater, it was just a fabulous performance. I highly recommend it. We also stopped in the M&M store. I have never seen so much M&M stuff in my entire life! It was 3 entire floors full of M&M's and apparel. Collin loves M&M's so we got him a curly straw with an M&M hanging off of it. We got one for Nick too but he's probably too small to use it yet. Then we hit the Toys R' Us store. Holy Moly! It was also 3 floors full of toys and even had a Ferris wheel. I really missed Collin while we were there because he would have loved it. You could even get your picture taken with Geoffrey. Clearly its a tourist trap but I'd have fallen into without a care if my little buddy had been with me. I'd have even paid the $4 a person for the Ferris wheel ride. I guess it's a good thing he wasn't with me because I would have spent a small fortune. We saw some funny sights too. The Naked Cowboy was giving a performance in Times Square and we saw Elmo and Lady Liberty. I'm not sure what Lady Liberty was doing but she was handing something out. Elmo (and I think this is brilliant in a twisted kind of way) was begging for money. Who isn't going to put a couple bucks in his sack to get a picture with him? OK, I didn't, but if I'd had my kids there (or my camera which I forgot) I probably would have. There was also some Latin movie star on the street. I have no idea who he was but a group of girls just behind us spotted him and got all excited. When we got to him they ran up and asked if he was whoever he is and shoved a pen and paper in his face when he said yes. It really was a special day but I was glad to get home. My boys were both in bed when we got home so I couldn't wait to see them this morning because I really missed them. Collin just leaned over and hugged me and said "I really missed you, Mom!" It made my heart melt. He is such a sweet little boy!

No comments: