Friday, February 8, 2008

I love having two

When I got pregnant with Nick, I was very excited about having two kids but I had a lot of doubts at the same time. I wondered things like if I could love the second one as much as the first (I can) and if Collin would be really jealous (he's not) and if they would get along (they do) and mostly could I handle all the demands that come with two kids (I do pretty well most of the time). There were times when it was really hard to balance things, especially at first, but we all managed and even though there are still times when things are difficult, I love having two kids! Now that Nick is really starting to develop his own little personality and is able to interact with Collin, having two kids is really neat. Since Nick can now sit all by himself, and he's completly mobile, at bath time I stick both kids in the tub together and they LOVE it. Bath time used to invoke lots of whining and crying from Collin because its the start of our bedtime routine. Now it seems more like play time and they both seem to really enjoy themselves. It's really nice not to have to argue about it anymore. It's even nicer when we finish dinner and Collin looks at me and says "Mom, can I get a bath with Nick-Nick now?". I love watching them play together. Collin is very careing and far more willing to share with his brother than I ever thought he'd be, and Nick is fascinated by absolutely everything Collin does. He wants everything his brother has and tries very hard to do whatever it is Collin is doing. I thought I'd have to wait for them to reach a point where they pick on one another but I don't. The first thing Collin did in the bath tub the other night was dump a cup full of water over Nick's head. I'm not sure if he did it to make Nick cry or if he thought his brother would like it because he's recently discovered that he really likes pouring cups full of water over his own head. Whatever his rationale, I put a stop to that pretty quick. Nick definately does not like water being poured over his head, but neither did Collin at that age. He does however love playing with the squirt toys in the bath tub. Nick has also learned how to grab onto the side of the tub and pull himself up to standing, all while holding onto one of his toys. Talk about scary moments. More than once I've caught him just before he wacked his face on the side of the tub as he slipped. He is one very determined little fellow. If he's not walking before his first birthday I'll be very surprised.

1 comment:

Kayris said...

I also love having two, watching the realtionship develop between them is amazing!

I'm blogging this week about the differences between them. Johnny walked at 10 months, Maureen is 14 months and still not letting go. However, she's already putting words together and Johnny didn't say more than 1 word at a time until he was about 18 months.