Saturday, December 8, 2007

I love my kids but....

Yesterday morning I was off to spend the day shopping with my Mom. Tim, however, had to get up early to take his finals. Thursday night when I realized this, I took a chance and asked if he would mind dropping the kids at daycare on his way to College Park. He agreed and I did a gleeful little jig. So morning came and I heard Tim turn off his alarm before it went off. I think he was trying to let me sleep in but I knew Nick would be getting up soon anyway. Sure enough I heard Nick get up and then Tim came in to ask if he needed to give him a bottle or if he'd be eating at daycare. I said I was getting up to feed him (I'm still nursing whenever possible). Tim seemed both surprised and relieved that I wasn't going to make him get the kids up and ready to go by himself. So I fed, changed and dressed Nick, helped Tim find a calculator, put Collin's coat on, kissed them all and sent them on their way. My Mom had a hair appointment at 9 so I had about 3 hours to myself. For the first time in FOREVER I got to take a bubble bath without having to hide in the bathroom so the kids don't see me after they're in bed. I didn't have to worry about taking too long in the shower because its late and Tim needs one too. I sat there in the tub with the bubbles and read a book for about an hour and it was the most blissful hour I've spent in a long time. After that, I spent 20 minutes blow drying my hair and another 10 putting on makeup. Both total luxuries for me. I make sure I get a shower but its usually at 9:30 at night and there is no time to dry my hair and I certainly don't have time for makeup in the morning. It's amazing how different I look when I have time to make just the smallest effort to look nice. Somehow, its different being Mom than being Dad. Tim can go get a shower, go study, go do whatever and the kids leave him alone. I might get a couple minutes but before long Collin will come looking for me. I can't imagine my life without the boys but yesterday morning was just so incredibly nice. It was like recharging my Mom batteries. Who'd have thought that the simple act of taking the kids to daycare for me would make my entire day so wonderful. Thanks Tim!

3 comments:

Jane said...

That's probably better than any Christmas gift you could get!!! Trent has taken to walking around the house yelling, "MOM-MY! Where ARE you???". I even get phone calls at work to talk - which is incredibly cute that he can actually have conversations (sort of) but every once in a while, some time alone would rock!!!

Missy said...

time alone? What is that?

Jon said...

Hmmm... Methinks I see a lucrative opportunity in a spa with a 4 hour daycare. Enough time for a tub soak and hair and nail services all catering to working moms. Beyond that, I refer you to your previous blog where you were so happy Nick was saying "mama". Even as a baby Kylan always looked to me instead of my ex-wife, because I tought him to say dad first. And now I'm the first one he turns to. I guess we just brought it on ourselves.