Wednesday, December 12, 2007
We should have named him Harry
As in Houdini. I've blogged many times about our bedtime issues. Collin is just not like your average child when it comes to the amount of sleep he needs. He requires shockingly little. A few nights ago we decorated the Christmas tree so he was up past his bedtime. Just as we were finishing putting the garland on he managed to fall off a box he was climbing on and whack his head on the coffee table. I picked him up immediately but his head was purple and swollen already. We did manage to get some ice on it by making it into a game where we took turns putting ice on our heads and counting to ten but I still wanted to be sure there wasn't anything else I needed to do so I called Ask-A-Nurse. They said he sounded fine but to wake him up in 2 hours to be sure he could walk and talk and then again in 4 hours for the next 3 nights. OK, I'm a lousy parent because I only did it for one, but he was fine. However, that meant he got all of about 6 hours of sleep that night (the recommended amount for children his age is between 10 and 12). His sitter tells me he's always the last to fall asleep at nap time too. The next night he refused to go to bed as well. I've given up on battling. I can't make him sleep. We go through our routine and if he chooses not to go to sleep, that's his problem. Usually by about 8:30 he's ready to settle down, hear his lullaby and go to sleep. I had him in bed by 8:10 tonight and told him I was going to get a shower and I'd check on him afterwards. A half hour later, I came out of the bathroom and his door was shut. I figured he'd gone to sleep and I'd check on him in a little bit. A few moments later I heard his door open and a little voice calling "Mommy!" There was Collin standing in just his diaper. His PJ's were still zipped so he must have zipped them up after he took them off. He was very proud of himself. Unfortunately, the sight was so funny to me that I cracked up laughing, which I'm sure will only encourage the behavior. I'll have to work on that. He has also learned how to climb out of his room even though there is a gate across the door. He's very proud of himself for that as well. What a little monkey!
Labels:
bedtime
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Trent did this the other night too! I was amazed!
Surveyer-"Hello Ma'am, I'm conducting market research for the Unilever corporation. Do you or your family use any of our products?"
Housewife-"Yes, my husband and I use Vaseline."
S-"And what do you use it for ma'am?"
H-"To enhance our sex lives."
S-"Oh...uh... and how exactly do you use it ma'am?"
H-"We smear it on the kids' doorknobs so they leave us alone at night."
I don't know if that joke will work typed out, but that was the first thing that sprang to mind when I read this blog. Hope all is well, looked like quite the crowd at your mom's tonight.
(Screwedupt he punchline the first time, oops)
Okkkkayyyyy, Jon, you do know Erin's family read this, right?
Anyway...when I was pregnant with Maureen, Johnny shook my bakers rack and an enormous, heavy glass bowl fell on his head. He stopped crying after just a couple of minutes, but I called the after hours line anyway, just to be sure, and the nurse said as long as he didn't lose conciousness and it didn't hit his temple, he was probably fine. And to wake him up every few hours.
Johnny doesn't sleep a lot either. Lately he has been up until 10PM and I hate it!
Post a Comment