Friday, September 21, 2007

Just Shut Up Award

Anyone who listens to Mike and Mike in the morning (yes, I know, I'm a total geek) knows they have a just shut up award every Tuesday for all the knuckleheads in sports who can't keep their mouth shut. Well this month, I have my own nominee... Gabriele Pauli

I can't believe this Stupid German Lady! She is a politician who actually thinks that marriage should only last 7 years! After that you either re-up or dissolve it. Are you kidding me? What does this teach? Why bother getting married at all if after 7 years you're done with it? It defeats the whole purpose of finding someone you're willing to make a life-long commitment to. The divorce rate is already so high and we are already a society where everything is disposable, do we really want to put marriage in that category too? I know there are a lot of very good reasons to divorce someone, they're abusive, they've cheated, they've done something else completely reprehensible, but its not something to be taken so lightly that every 7 years we get to decide if we want to stick around or not. Marriage is supposed to be something that couples hold precious. I married my husband because I love him and I can't imagine spending my life without him. Our parents spent a small fortune on our wedding so that the people we loved could be there to celebrate the commitment we made to one another. What effect would this have on the children of those marriages? How do you teach your children the value of a relationship if you're dissolving them every 7 years. If you think you won't be happy together in 7 years, you don't get married, you wait until you find that person you know will make you happy for the rest of your life. If you make marriage last only 7 years, in addition to killing an age old institution, you're killing an entire industry. Who's going to blow thousands of dollars on a dream wedding if its only going to last 7 years anyway. Then what do you have, re-upping parties? This is a woman who has been married multiple times before and obviously just hasn't gotten it right. She's even posed for magazine pictures as a dominatrix. How she can be affiliated with a Christian political party is beyond me. I'm not a religious expert but I don't know of any that are advocating divorce.. As if you couldn't tell, I've been stewing about this ever since I read the article this morning. Call me old fashioned, but I believe strongly in the institution of marriage and the importance of modeling a healthy relationship for your children. How you can do that if you're deciding whether or not to dissolve your marriage every 7 years is beyond me. Why bother getting married at all. Maybe she's just trying to put divorce lawyers out of business. I don't know but she's got my vote for the Just Shut Up Award this time.

1 comment:

Kayris said...

Good Lord. I don't know what else to say.