Friday, September 28, 2007

Maybe its Karma?

Survivor: Mommy Style doesn't seem so cute anymore. I guess its Karma, but it just came back to bite me in the butt big time. Things had been going pretty well today. I got up at 5, got both of the boys up, dressed and fed and was out the door by 6:05. Both boys were happy and pleasant and I dropped them off at daycare at 6:30 and was on my way to work without any problems. I even walked into work at 7 on the dot which is pretty good. I had a good day at work. I was able to leave a few minutes early with my desk completely cleaned off. I didn't have any patients to post or charts to write up. All of the patient charts for the next week are in binders so all I have to do is sticker them the day before. My deposit was made and my billing was mailed. I'd spoken with all of the patients for Monday. I'm even caught up on my quality improvement studies that hadn't been done since before Nick was born. I even had time to clean the scuff marks that have been bugging me for the last month on the bathroom door. When I got to daycare to pick the boys up, Nick was sleeping and Collin was FILTHY! He and Aly had been playing in the dirt together and it was everywhere. Their faces were literally black and they had dirt in their hair. I've seen Collin dirty before, but I think this is the dirtiest I've ever seen him. When we got home, Tim was gone. I figured he was seeing the chiropractor so I ordered pizza for dinner and sat down to play with my boys. After I fed Nick, I realized Collin needed a diaper change so I took him upstairs and took care of business. He didn't want to wear his pants and I wasn't planning on going anywhere so we left them off. Back downstairs again, Collin spilled milk on his shirt and asked me to take it off. I distractedly took his shirt off and went back to watching Nick try to roll over (I still haven't seen him do it). I looked up a few minutes later and realized that Collin's back was covered in welts. At first I thought maybe they were bug bites, especially since he'd been playing so hard in the dirt today, but then they began to multiply. Other than the spots, which were a little itchy, he was acting completely normal. I called my mom to find out what hives look like, gave Collin a quick bath because I couldn't take him to the doctor filthy, and then called Nighttime Pediatrics to make an appointment to be seen. They had an appointment at 6:50, which was in less than an hour, but requested I speak with a health care provider to make sure it was OK to wait that long since I suspected an allergic reaction. I called ask-a-nurse and told them that Collin had been on an antibiotic for 7 days and had red welts all over his back and belly. The nurse informed me that its common to get an amoxicillin rash and it doesn't mean he's allergic to the amoxicillin. He can take it again and will probably never get a rash. I only have to worry if the rash lasts longer than 6 days or if its raised like hives. Did she not hear me describe the rash as raised welts? She recommended cancelling the appointment but my mom instincts were telling me that just wasn't right. She blew me off as another hysterical mom who was freaking out about her kids minor rash, but had she taken the time to listen to me, she would have discovered that I was a hysterical mom who was freaking out a little because her kid had hives-not the flat rash she was describing. I was pretty mad by the time I got off the phone with her. I kept the appointment with nighttime peds. Tim printed the directions for me and Collin and I ran out the door. The directions were wrong. I wound up at Cedar Lane Park so I was 10 minutes late because I had to figure out on my own where the right Cedar Lane was. I spent 2 hours in nighttime peds tonight. My mom instincts were right after all. Collin did have an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin. The doctor told me to give him benadryl two to three times a day and use cold compresses on the biggest hives. He also gave us a new prescription for Zithromax because one of his ears still isn't cleared up yet. So tomorrow morning, I'll be at the pharmacy because you can't find one open at 9p.m. This is so not how I planned on spending my Friday night...

5 comments:

Missy said...

Awww...that SO sucks!!! Luckily, we've yet to find a med that Gabe is allergic too. The up side is the benedry will probably make Collin sleep relaly well. Works for both my kids. That's the only time Kylie has completely selpt through the nigh, is when she's had Benedryl. Can I use it every night????

Jon said...

I just want to apologize if I gave you bad Karma. I've been lucky, the last 5 years, I haven't found anything Kylan is alergic to.

Jane said...

That sucks! Scott is deathly allergic to all of the 'cillins'. He once had hives on his feet so big, he couldnt get his shoes on. But he had a similar experience. His aunt told the Dr he was allergic to Amoxocillin- so what did they do? They gave him PENECILLIN. WTF!? He broke out in hives in the Dr's office. Sometimes I wonder where they get their medicial degrees from...

Kayris said...

I had a reaction like that to Bactrim. the doc said if I was going to have a reaction, it would be within ten days. I took my pill the night of the tenth day and woke up with hives. It was miserable.

The benadryl gel that you apply topically really made a different, and cortisone on the itchiest spots.

Hope he is felling better!

Kayris said...

P.S> Do you have a Walgreens? A lot of them have 24 hour pharmacies.