Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Lessons From The Dinner Table

Last night we made pasta Alfredo because I know its something Collin will eat. What's not to like about Alfredo sauce? In an attempt to get him to eat some vegetables, I asked Tim to toss some peas in the sauce too. It did eventually work. Collin ate all his pasta first and then, after a bit of coaxing, almost all of his peas. The lesson I learned was that I have to watch Collin like a hawk. He didn't sit at the table the entire time. When he finished his pasta, he got up and wandered around a bit. Nick was sitting in his bouncy seat on the floor right next to us so we could eat as a family. I should have been paying more attention to Collin because the next thing I knew Collin was standing by Nick telling me that Nick likes peas! I have no idea whether or not Collin actually managed to feed Nick a pea but he (Nick) was none the worse the wear for the experience. Collin and I had a long talk about how Nick is too little to eat what Collin eats and that the only thing Nick can eat is Mommy's milk or formula in a bottle. I don't think he really gets it. I did promise him that as soon as Nick is old enough to start eating real foods, Collin could help me feed him. I'll probably regret that statement latter because I can guarantee Collin won't forget I said it. As I was doing the dishes, I looked over and realized that Nick had a pea stuck to his face right next to his nose! I'm not sure if Collin tried to feed him another pea or if Collin dropped peas on Sadie and she shook them off and one landed on Nick. Whatever happened, Nick smiled through the whole thing. From now on, I will not take my eyes off Collin at dinner time.

No comments: