Collin made dinner tonight! OK, so he had a whole lot of help but he still made dinner. Since we had so many crabs left over (even after we shared some with my Dad and Bella), we picked them last night and got about a pound of crab meat for our trouble. Today I went to the store and got the stuff we'd need for Maryland Crab Soup. It was ridiculously easy to make (it had to be if Collin could do it) and it tastes fantastic! Click the link for the recipe. It turns out that Giant carries soup vegetables. Its so much easier to pick up a bag or two of those than bags or cans of all the different vegetables you want in your soup. It also meant I had to try okra, which isn't nearly as heinous as I thought it would be. Other than that, all I really needed was beef broth, a can of tomatoes and some seafood seasoning (we used the stuff we got with the crabs, but Old Bay would be awesome too). Really, its all stuff that is usually in my pantry anyway. I put the pot on the stove and got Collin a chair so he could put the soup together. I measured each ingredient and handed it to him to put in the pot. He would dump it in and stir it really well. Once everything was in, I turned the stove on so the soup could cook. Collin made sure that we went in and checked on it every few minutes so he could stir the soup again. The kid loves to cook! He tasted it every so often and pronounced "mmm... this is good!" When we sat down to eat, he didn't eat a whole bowl, but he did eat a good bit of the broth and I even saw him chow down on some crab and some veggies! Collin is going to be cooking dinner more often.
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Johnny helps me cook dinner everyday, and he's more likely to eat something if he "made" it, even if all he did was push the buttons on the microwave. It also keeps him occupied while I cook! The soup looks yummy! May I post it on my food blog?
Feel free to use it. I was absolutely delicious!
What a great idea! I want to get Trent to help out now!
Post a Comment