Last night as Collin was going to be I caught him picking his nose and asked him to stop. He looked up at me and said "There's germs up there!"
The other day I fixed him a peanut butter banana and it flipped over leaving a pile of peanut butter on the plate. Collin said very excitedly "Look Mom! A Volcano!"
And finally, honesty. Tim put Collin to bed last night before I got home from the gym so when I walked in the door he was wailing. I went in to spend a few minutes with him and try to calm him down. After a few moments he calmed down and we had the following conversation:
Mommy?
Yes Collin?
Collin was bad. (Collin refers to himself in the third person all the time! Its finally starting to get better but he still does it a lot)
You were?
Daddy's mad.
Why is Daddy mad?
Collin fed the dog.
You fed Sadie your dinner?
Yes.
Are you allowed to feed Sadie people food?
No.
(You should hear the squeals of delight that erupt from this child when he does feed the dog. I usually let him go for a minute pretending I didn't notice yet because he's having such a great time)
Thank you for telling Mommy about it. It's always best to tell the truth.
Collin was in time-out.
You were in time-out? At daycare?
Yes.
Why were you in time-out?
Collin hit Jade.
You hit Jade?
Yes. Collin hit Annie too.
Miss Rosemary put you in time-out for hitting Jade and Annie?
Yes.
Why did you hit Jade and Annie? Did they do something to upset you?
(no response)
Collin it's important that you don't hit anyone, especially girls. If you are getting frustrated with the girls, go find Ms. Rosemary and ask her to help you. (So I'm turning my kid into a tattle-tale, but I don't want him to think hitting is an appropriate way to deal with his frustration)
OK.
My poor little boy needed to confess before he went to sleep! After our conversation, he wasn't happy about me leaving but he only whined a little and went right to sleep. It makes me feel good that my son tells me when he's done something wrong. I'm sure it won't last, but I'm going to try to reinforce the behavior so it does.
Friday, August 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The third person thing is normal. Johnny did it too. I think it's so cute! That's very sweet that he confessed to you! Johnny was pinching Maureen in the car, so we moved his carseat to the back row. Now he tells me all the time, "I sit in the back because I pinched Maureen."
Post a Comment